Day 148 – Muscle Burns Fat – Wednesday – June 22, 2016 – Tonight at Jazzercise class my instructor, Kameren, said “Ladies, muscle burns fat.” I’ve heard this so often that I decided to check into it a little further. I’ve been working on building muscle again for a very long time. I’ve often said, “There is muscle under my fat ~ you just can’t see it.” While this is still true to a degree, I am seeing more visible muscle tone in my calves, thighs and my arms.
Burn Baby Burn
When you exercise, you use muscle. This helps build muscle mass, and muscle tissue burns more calories — even when you’re at rest — than body fat.
- 10 pounds of muscle will burn 50-60 calories a day while your body is at rest
- 10 pounds of fat will burn 20 calories
Looks to me like muscle wins in burning the most fat!
By building muscle, we significantly increase our metabolism and turn our body into a calorie burning, fat melting machine… and this will obviously improve our overall fat loss progress. This can be a daunting task but hey, we have to start somewhere.
Although it can be done, to fully and consistently burn 50-60 calories a day from muscle, experts say we have to build the maximum amount of muscle that our body is capable of building. What that maximum amount of muscle is ~ is unknown. We have to lose the body fat to see the muscle, so it is hard to know when we’ve reached the level of “the maximum amount of” fat-burning muscle.
While every bit of muscle mass helps, there is nothing more important than the combination of reducing what and how much we eat. And increasing our exercise in turn, helps us increase muscle mass.
Fat Burning Tips ~ From Muscle and Fitness
- Slash calories ~ reduce serving portions.
- Curtail carbohydrates – cut in half your daily carbohydrate portions.
- Increase protein consumption – Eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight every day. Your major protein sources should be lean meats (chicken, steak, turkey breast, tuna) and eggs.
- Never eat carbs by themselves ~ always eat with a protein and small amounts of healthy fat.
- Never eat carbs within 3-hours of bedtime. If you need a snack, eat protein or a vegetable.
- Eat 6 to 8 small meals per day. Avoid going longer than 3-hours without a meal or a snack. Determine your ideal daily caloric intake for fat-burning and divide that more or less evenly between your 6-8 meals. Caloric Calculator
- Limit your total carbs on two consecutive days every two weeks or so to less than 100 grams per day. Your diligence will be rewarded with a noticeable difference in body fat. After two days, you can return to a more normal, though not excessive, carb intake.
- Exercise as intensely as you like, just don’t go longer than 75 minutes in any one workout. When using weights, do as many sets and reps as you can during this time, using shorter rest periods (60 seconds max).
- To ensure that your body is in optimal fat-burning mode, do 30-60 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning before breakfast 4-6 days per week.
- For the serious fitness guru or body-builder, more tips can be found at Muscle and Fitness
Day 148 – Muscle Burns Fat
Out of all the suggestions I found for burning fat, I would have to say that the most difficult one for me would be doing cardio for 30 to 60 minutes in the morning; especially before having breakfast. The irony is that 20 years ago, I used to get up at 5:45 am and be to the gym at 6:00 am. I would lift weights for an hour and I did this four to five times a week.
Now, I find it difficult to get up and go to the 8:00 am Jazzercise class on Saturday mornings. My preferred time of getting up in the morning is 8:00 am. For me, it is difficult to be jumping around and lifting weights that early in the morning. Of course, I am always glad I did it ~ when I am done.
With us having our garage (pre-moving) sale for the past 10 weekends, I’ve gotten out of Saturday morning Jazzercise classes. However, that excuse is about to end soon ~ unless we decide to sell the rest of our stuff at the Hartville Flea Market on Saturdays.
Hum ~ may be that will be my way to get out of class. On the other hand, I may need to get up at 6:00 am to set-up early at the flea market. I guess Jazzercise class at 8:00 am is looking better after all.
Work that body, burn that fat, lifting weights is where it’s at…
Facing MY FAT,