How to Curb the Craves – Now and then, I start craving something chocolate or something sweet. When I cave to the crave, I temporarily feel better. The downside to caving to the crave? Sometimes I set myself up for another crave soon to follow. To make sure my cravings do not get out of control, I turn to the tips below….
How to combat cravings for not-so-healthy foods and snacks:
- Drink Water – Sometimes we aren’t really hungry, we are thirsty. Drinking a tall glass of water is one solution for filling up the stomach and putting off hunger.
- Eat More Protein – Eating sugary foods can lead to craving more sugar. Eating protein will satisfy the hunger. Yogurt, nuts and cheese offer a quick protein fix.
- Distance yourself from the Craving – Keep busy. Walk away from the kitchen, snack machine and break room.
- Plan Your Meals – Planned meals allow for eating at regular intervals and includes snacks. Knowing that you will be having a meal or snack soon will make it easier to avoid a temporary craving.
- Avoid Getting Extremely Hungry – Extreme hunger is dangerous and can lead to eating the worst of the worst foods or too much food – fast food, high carbohydrate meals, unhealthy snacks. Extreme hunger easily leads to overeating.
- Fight Stress – Stress is the number one trigger for not just eating but overeating. Stress can trigger cravings for the very junk food, packaged food products and unhealthy snacks that we are trying to avoid.
- Practice Mindful Eating – Paying attention to what we eat enables us to be aware of how much we eat.
- Get Enough Sleep – Lack of sleep can lead to stress. Stress can lead to eating poorly and caving to cravings. It’s a vicious cycle.
- Eat Proper Meals – Avoid excessive hunger by eating proper meals. Avoid caving to cravings by eating healthy, protein balanced meals. Fresh fruit stabilizes sugar. Ice cream and cookies do not. How many times have you eaten more than one apple? Probably never. Cookies? Scoops of ice cream?
- Don’t Go to the Grocery Store Hungry – Grocery shopping when hungry can easily lead to poor selections for meals and snacks.
How to Curb the Craves
I believe in moderation. By having a sweet treat now and then, I avoid setting myself up for a serious craving. I also choose to not have many temptations available.
How do you avoid caving to the craving?
Facing MY FAT,