Who is and Where is Joyce L. Vedral, Ph.D.? For me, Joyce Vedral is a woman whom I admire. She inspired me in my mid-30’s and is re-inspiring me today in my late 50’s. I worked out to her book, Bottoms Up! From Cellulite to Sexy in 24 Workout Hours, when I was age 34. Now, at age 58, I am turning to this particular book once again to help me get back in shape and to stay fit as I continue to age.
I lost 20 pounds in 2016 but it’s not enough. I need to lose 10 pounds or more and I want to strengthen, tone and build more muscle. I’m after feminine muscle, not body-building muscle. I know from past experience that Bottoms Up! is the answer. I did it once before and I am determined to do it again!
Bottoms up! is my book of choice. If it’s your choice too, or if you just want to be part of a group that is trying to lose weight and get fit, I invite you to sign-up to follow my blog, Facing My Fat.
As stated in my blog post on January 15, 2017, I invite you to take the Bottoms Up! challenge with me. I’m starting January 25, 2017, but you can join anytime. I will post two workout updates a week along with writing blog posts about my personal weight loss challenges.
Everyday, people who are trying to locate Joyce Vedral, come to my web site. I’ve tried to locate her too and as a result of my research, I’ve put together, Who is and where is Joyce Vedral, Ph.D.?
Who is Joyce L. Vedral, Ph.D.?
Joyce was born Joyce Lauretta Yellin on July 23, 1943 to David and Martha (Dash) Yellin. According to Joyce, “She was raised in the poorest of poor Bronx in New York City, NY.” Her father, David, was a boxer, wrestler, and mathematician. Her mother, Martha made belts when Joyce was a small child to support Joyce and her infant sister. In later years, her mother became a communications technician.
In 1965, Joyce became engaged to Charles J. Vedral. Her future husband had just graduated from Bible school and Joyce had just become a born-again Christian. In her book, Look In, Look Up, Look Out! Be the Person You Were Meant to Be, Joyce shares about her “inner voice” that told her, “You are about to make a mistake”. Feeling like she had no choice but to follow through with the wedding, she married Charles.
For 10 years, Joyce busied herself with a life that was not meant for her from the first day of her marriage until the day of her divorce on April 11, 1976.
Joyce and Charles had one daughter, Marthe Simone. Although divorced, Joyce thinks highly of her ex-husband and is grateful for their daughter, Marthe.
Joyce L. Vedral, Ph.D. – Education
Joyce L. Vedral attended Pace University and the City College of New York, NY (B.S. 1970) and New York University (M.A.1973). She went on to earn a Ph.D. in English Literature with a specialization in psychology from New York University (Ph.D. 1980). She was a member of the faculty beginning in 1980.
Joyce was also an elementary school teacher. She taught third-graders in a poor area of Harlem in New York City. By the time the year ended, every child’s reading level had increased by more than two years.
Joyce L. Vedral, Ph. D.
*Best Selling Author and Award-Winning Fitness Expert
Joyce L. Vedral, Ph.D. has authored numerous books, starting as early as 1973. Many of her books were *Best-Sellers.
- A Literary Survey of the Bible, edited by Dennis Baker, Logos International (Plainfield, NJ), 1973.
- I Dare You! How to Use Psychology to Get What You Want Out of Life, Holt (New York, NY), 1983.
- (With Bill Reynolds, Jr.) Supercut: Nutrition for the Ultimate Physique, Ballantine (New York, NY), 1985.
- (With Gladys Portugues) Hard Bodies, Dell (New York, NY), 1985.
- *Now or Never, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1986.
- My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy, Ballantine (New York, NY), 1986.
- My Teenager Is Driving Me Crazy, Ballantine (New York, NY), 1987, published as My Teenager Is Driving Me Crazy: A Guide to Getting You and Your Teen through These Difficult Years, Adams Media (Avon, MA), 2003.
- I Can’t Take It Anymore, Ballantine (New York, NY), 1987.
- (With Rachel McLish) Perfect Parts, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1987.
- The Opposite Sex Is Driving Me Crazy, Ballantine (New York, NY), 1988.
- *The 12-Minute Total-Body Workout, Warner Books, 1989.
- *The Fat-Burning Workout, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1991.
- *Gut Busters, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1992.
- My Teacher Is Driving Me Crazy, Ballantine (New York, NY), 1992.
- *Get Rid of Him, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1993.
- Teens Are Talking: The Question Game for Teens, Ballantine (New York, NY), 1993.
- *Bottoms Up!: The Total-Body Workout from the Bottom Up; From Cellulite to Sexy—in 24 Workout Hours, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1993.
- (With Betty Weider) Better and Better: Six Weeks to a Great Shape at Any Age!, Dell (New York, NY), 1993.
- (With daughter, Marthe Simone Vedral) The College Dorm Workout: Fight the Freshman Fifteen in Twenty Minutes a Day without Starving to Death, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1994.
- Definition: Shape without Bulk in 15 Minutes a Day, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1995.
- Top Shape: 12 Weeks to Your Ideal Physique, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1995.
- Look In, Look Up, Look Out!: Be the Person You Were Meant to Be, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1996.
- Eat to Trim: Get It Off and Keep It Off!, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1997.
- Weight Training Made Easy: Transform Your Body in Four Simple Steps, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1997.
- Bone-Building/Body-Shaping Workout: Strength, Health, Beauty in Just 16 Minutes a Day!, Simon & Schuster (New York, NY), 1998.
- The Bathing Suit Workout, Warner Books (New York, NY), 1999.
Joyce has been a contributor to many magazines, including Muscle and Fitness, Shape, Self, Guideposts, Christian Herald, and Parent Connections. She appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Sally Jessy Rafael, Geraldo, Montel Williams and many other top national TV shows.
Joyce L. Vedral, Ph.D. once said: “I write about fitness—physical and mental. All of my books are about empowering: the mind affects the body and the body affects the mind. I approach the problem from both directions, whichever helps first; it doesn’t matter. Get in shape first and then your mind will follow, or get your mind in shape, and then your body will follow. In this sense, all roads lead to Rome!
“My book Get Rid of Him is a book addressed to women who are in relationships that are draining their energy and are more trouble than they’re worth. It is an inspirational book that helps to shine a light on a woman’s negative relationship and to build her self-esteem so that she can leave and enjoy and respect her life alone for a while. There are chapters for every situation, from leaving a man who bores you to death to getting out of it if you’re staying in it just for the money, the security or the children. The chapter, ‘Fifteen Ways to Leave Your Lover’ tells you how, and the chapter, ‘Oh What a Catch,’ warns you when to throw back that ‘DOGFISH,’ CHAMELEON, CRAB, AND BLOWFISH before you get burned. Not a man-bashing book, the book encourages women to stop blaming men and take responsibility for their own lives.
“My two best-selling bodybuilding books originated with my taking up bodybuilding. Supercut: Nutrition for the Ultimate Physique is a bodybuilders diet book, showing professional and amateur bodybuilders how to diet in order to achieve the best possible competitive form. More than 200 low-fat, low-sodium recipes are included. Hard Bodies is a book that shows women how to sculpt their bodies through the use of weights into the most sensual possible form.
“My two latest body-shaping books provide a solution for women, The Fat-Burning Workout, and for men, Gut Busters, who want to get in shape but have only fifteen to twenty minutes four to six days a week to spare. Combined, they have sold nearly a million copies. My files are replete with before and after photos of men and women who rejoice that they were able to do it in twelve weeks time!”
Who is and Where is Joyce Vedral, Ph.D.?
Joyce established and incorporated a health, wellness and fitness business, Joycercize Inc. in 1995. Records show it closed it in 2014. From all accounts, Joyce has retired. Her last Facebook post, https://www.facebook.com/joyce.vedral, appears to be October 31, 2012.
I also found these links about her:
As of this post, Joyce is 73 years old and is currently enjoying her retirement in Florida.
Joyce has inspired countless men and women of all ages and deserves a well-earned retirement.
I welcome the opportunity to meet her one day. In the meantime, I hope to do her proud as I commit, for the second time in my life, to her Bottoms Up! workout.
Join me by signing up with your email address to follow my blog.
Facing MY FAT,
The information I shared about Joyce L. Vedral, Ph.D. was found through researching various internet sources and from reading several of her books. The information as shared has not been validated by Joyce L. Vedral, Ph. D.